How to hold a “Find the Queen of Hearts” drawing
We are always on the lookout for tips and suggestions to help our customers maximize their fund raising success. After we read about Dick’s accomplishments, and his kind words about how our products have worked out for his organization, I decided to learn more about the“Search For The Queen Of Hearts” so I could share it with you.
The information provided here is taken from the New York State Racing & Wagering Board’s web site and it has been abridged for readability. Every state has its own rules and regulations, so make sure you are in compliance with all rules in the state you plan to hold your drawing before you get started. If you aren’t sure where to find this information, click here and use the pull-down menu to find your state.
What you need to get started:
· A series of two-part, sequentially numbered raffle tickets
· A raffle ticket drum or receptacle
· A standard deck of fifty-two playing cards plus two Jokers
· A game board into which fifty-four playing cards can be
placed facedown, side-by-side, and held securely by a locking, transparent cover
1) Determine a price for each ticket and print all the pertinent information – like cost of each ticket, drawing dates, prizes to be awarded, and whether or not the winner needs to be present at the drawing. Make sure the stubs have an area for name and telephone number of the purchaser (this part goes into the drum). The body of the ticket is kept by the purchaser. Print sequential numbers on both parts (our Raffle Ticket software does this for you automatically).
2) Have a certified member shuffle the deck and, without revealing any of the faces, place the cards facedown, side-by-side, onto the game board. Lock down a transparent game board cover to secure the cards in place.
3) One raffle ticket shall be drawn each week from among all of the tickets sold for each drawing, except for the first week and the twenty-sixth week (if necessary), when three drawings shall be held. If the Queen of Hearts is not revealed within twenty-six weeks of drawings, one ticket shall be drawn in week number twenty-seven and each subsequent week until the Queen of Hearts is revealed and the grand prize is awarded.
4) The participant(s) holding the winning ticket stub(s) shall be declared the winner(s) of each drawing and shall be entitled to “Search For The Queen of Hearts”.
5) All remaining tickets in the raffle drum or receptacle shall be defaced and discarded.
6) The transparent, locking cover securing the cards shall be opened by a licensed member in charge or assistant to the member in charge at the time of each drawing.
7) Each winner shall select one of the facedown playing cards, which shall be turned face up by a licensed member in charge or assistant to the member in charge. If that playing card is the Queen of Hearts, the holder of the winning raffle ticket selecting that card shall be awarded 60% of the Grand Prize Pool.
8) If the card selected is not the Queen of Hearts, that card shall be defaced by drawing a diagonal line across its face; the card shall be returned to the game board face-up; the transparent, locking cover securing the cards shall be locked; and that player shall be immediately awarded a cash prize valued according to the following schedule:
Card Drawn Payout Odds
Any 2, 3, 4, or 5 At least 4 – 1
Any 6, 7, 8, or 9 At least 6 – 1
Any 10, Jack, or King At least 8 – 1
Any Ace At least 10 – 1
Any Joker At least 15 – 1
Any Queen other than Hearts At least 20 – 1
9) The weekly raffle drawings shall continue until a winner selects the Queen of Hearts.
10) When the Queen of Hearts is selected, the winning player shall be awarded the Grand Prize consisting of 60% of the Grand Prize Pool.
11) The licensee shall retain the remaining 40% of the Grand Prize Pool as raffle profit.
12) A sign shall be posted in all areas where the game is conducted and where tickets are sold stating that the total prize pool shall be comprised of sixty percent of sales; a listing of the payout odds specified above on cards valued Two through King (excluding the Queen of Hearts); and that forty percent of all ticket sales will be retained by the authorized organization as profit.